• An Initiative By

  • Fourrts Logo

Insect Sting Allergy

About Insect Sting Allergy

When the venom gets injected into our skin and causes allergic reaction, then you may be allergic to insect sting. While most people are not allergic to insect stings like honeybees, wasp, fire ants, the pain from the sting can easily be mistaken for an allergy when it is just a normal pain.

In most cases, the allergic reaction does not happen immediately for all ages. Kids are the easy victims to insect stings than adults.


  • Redness
  • Hives
  • Itching
  • Pain
  • Anaphylaxis [a life-threatening reaction that causes breathing difficulty leading to body shock]


It is always safe to consult an Allergist for allergic reactions. Your Allergic should take a detailed analysis on your the medical history, previous stings and reactions.

Diagnosing is done through,

Skin-prick Test

A small amount of liquid with insect venom is placed on the forearm to check for redness after 15 to 20 minutes, to indicate you are allergic.

Blood Test

A blood sample is sent to the laboratory to test for Immunoglobulin E (IgE) presence to insect venom.

Intra-dermal Skin Test

A more accurate test is the intradermal skin test where a small amount of insect venom is injected into your skin to examine the reaction after 15 to 20 minutes for the presence of IgE antibodies.


  • Stay away from grasses where insects forage
  • Keep all liquid and food items closed to avoid insect attraction
  • Avoid sweet smelling deodorant, spray or perfume
  • Avoid bright colour clothing with floral patterns
Doctor Registration